Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How do YOU Ride?

Do you drive that by any chance? Call me!!

A couple of months ago a male friend called me up and said a babe he was talking to asked some weird questions on a date, and the most suspicious question was "What kind of car do you even drive?" Apparently she had never seen his car. He asked me what I thought a question like that meant, and some of the words I remember saying were 'Gold-digger' and 'Run'. And to be honest I blamed him for putting himself in that situation because he does tend to go after them 'high-maintenance' 'eye-chooking' type babes.

Imagine my surprise when a few weeks ago another male friend casually asked me "What do you girls mean when you ask a guy what kind of car he drives?" I had to ask another friend if there's a secret meaning in the 'Language of Women' in that question and she thought it was ridiculous as well. So I told him I thought his new romantic interest was maybe a little bit overly-materialistic and that he needs to really 'get to know her' first, I meant he should bounce, of course. Funny thing is, he swears the girl is really great in all other aspects; and while I don't know him well enough to know the kind of woman he prefers, I think a girl that is so concerned about your machinery should be questioned seriously.

Surprisingly, someone else asked me the same question last night and I started feeling that maybe I'm just a bit too naïve with my Ogbomoso self to understand what is really going on and I wanted to ask everyone else out there...

Women, why is it important to know what car he drives?

In my humble opinion, there is absolutely NOTHING about a man's current choice of transportation that tells you much about what his personality or sometimes even his wallet looks like. Absolutely nothing. 

Let's talk about the money first. Maybe men in Nigeria can be gauged a little in the financial department because Nigerians mostly have to pay cash for their stuff; but add in the fact that some of them picked up one of Daddy's cars from the garage or the fact that some guys who have the cash are not out there buying the flashiest cars, you really cannot judge anything from a man's machine. 

And to my 'Sistas' abroad, especially in the US of A, please shine your eyes methodically. That car that you are so interested in was most likely bought on credit. You need to ask around and realize that the bigger the toy, the more cash he's shelling out to make those car notes and insurance payments (and need I remind you as a financial advisor that this means he has even less cash to spend on you?). Factor in the sad fact that some people make those credit payments ON CREDIT as well, you may just be cozying up to your ticket into the great American Dream Debt Nightmare. And gosh, have you spoken to a man right after he takes his cushy car to those expensive dealership maintenance places?! The price of maintaining some cars once is enough to feed a small clan for a good while. Now don't get me wrong, of course really wealthy guys drive crazy good cars, but just knowing what he drives will certainly not give you a clue.

Now let's talk about personality. When you're trying to get to know a guy and asking those questions on the late night phone calls and the sparkly dates, you want to be able to guess how he will treat YOU if you decide to spend part of your life with him. How exactly does his choice of cars tell you anything about this? What's really going on?

My advice to guys who want peace in their lives: If she is so interested in your material portfolio so early on in a relationship, maybe that's all she's interested in. Not you, just your stuff. So be very well prepared to entertain her very well on that level if you want to keep her. And if you what you are looking for is a woman to care about you for you, ease up on telling us what it is you 'got' on those early dates. You would be surprised how many women are turned off by the unnecessary display of assets...

That said, if you happen to drive that wonderful car up there (paid for in full) and you're not married to Beyoncé, CALL ME!! CALL ME NOW!! Haha!! 
Peace!!

4 comments:

  1. Red flag toh nasty. My default answer: a '76 Volkswagen Beetle :||

    'Jiböla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm i don't know i think when they tell you they might be putting out of context...because i know i ask any guy really when it comes up in conversation and even sometimes of curiosity cos i love cars...i guess my point being u have to know what context

    p.s. saw ur comment love, thanks a lot.... Hope you are good? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely. It was puzzling to me too cuz sometimes guys tend to be extra-suspicious especially when it comes to Nigerian women. But in these cases, it was pretty much just out of the blue and not for any real reason...

    ReplyDelete
  4. eye-chooking babe loverMarch 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM

    great write up...I've been asked that same question one too many times and its just super annoying. the car someone drives isnt an indicator of the person at all. This behavior is not limited to eye-chooking babes sef lol, its a spreading epidemic!

    ReplyDelete