Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Coffee with The Other Woman: 1

She has sad eyes.
The saddest eyes I have ever seen.
She is beautiful.
Not extraordinary,
Plain, almost.
My arch-enemy.
The cause of many lonely
sleepless nights.

"Nice Ring."

I look up from the ring I am twisting around on my left hand.
"Thank you." (I think)
She looks away.
I frown at my Macchiato. It is cold, untouched.

I can hear the minutes ticking away and yet we say nothing. 
What do you say to someone like her?

"I don't know why I am here, I hate to have wasted your time." 
I apologize furiously as I dig in my purse for change to pay and leave, until she grabs my arm, softly.
"Sit," she almost whispers.

I sigh. I sit. I try to stare her down.

"I am not your enemy you know. At least not anymore."
Her smile is small, but her eyes are not smiling.

Another uncomfortable silence.

"He told me the ring was for his sister, a graduation present." She sounds bitter now. "He held my hand in his as he bought that ring. For you. The bastard."

Now I am surprised.

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment